Before jumping on to Search Engine Optimization, let’s start with elaborating search engines. Search engines are one of the primary generators of traffic for online companies, Thus, it is very important to pay a close attention to it as part of your inbound marketing strategy. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) is the collection of techniques that helps your website come at the top for relevant keywords.
For instance, if you have a computer repair shop in Oakland, you must try to optimize your website, so that when a customer searches for “computer repair shop Oakland” or “computer shop Oakland, CA” you want to be at the top in SERP (Search Engine Result Pages).
Google and other search engines look for 3 main things when ranking the websites in the search results.
- Quality of the content on the website relevant to the search keywords.
- Quantity and quality of links from other websites to the given website (backlinks).
- Structure and organization of website – keywords in the domain name and the page URL, title of the pages, headings in the content, overall speed of the website
How do we apply Search Engine Optimization on our website?
- Start researching on the keywords you want to target. This is the market research that is an essential first step for SEO. Start from Google’s keyword research tool. The tool will help you understand the traffic for the given keywords from the regions you specify, and will also give you related keywords.
- If you have not bought a domain name already, buy a new one that has the primary keyword on it. For instance, computershopoakland.com would rank higher in the search results for the keywords related to “Computer Shop Oakland, CA”.
- Pick an URL structure for your website that puts the keywords in the URL. For the example above, if you have a URL – computershopoakland.com/hp-spare-parts it will rank high for the “HP Spare parts” keywords. Pay a close attention to the URLs of your main pages.
- Speed up your website. The faster the website is, the better the SEO rank as you help both your readers and Google crawlers. Start optimizing your page speed using GTMetrix tool.
- When you create content, pay attention to the keywords and attempt to achieve a keyword density (the keywords in the page/total number of words on the page) of around 1-2%. Be aware that, you should not sacrifice readability for the sake of SEO.
- Create a Sitemap that lets your users and search engines to easily navigate your website and find the relevant links.
- Most importantly, create great content that people would love to read, share and recommend. Once your content is loved by the readers, you will automatically get back links to it that improve both the traffic and the Search Engine Optimization (SEO) rank.