Inside Sales and Digital Body Language

Inside Sales is growing and so is the need for transparency into the Digital Body Language of your prospects.

What is Digital Body Language?
In essence body language is nothing other than non-verbal communication. When you are in a face-to-face conversation with another person both their body and facial expressions are changing, this can be defined as body language. When you are not in a face-to-face conversation with a person but interacting with that person through email, phone or in any other technical or digital way, how the prospect is interacting online or digitally with your message would be defined as digital body language. Some examples of digital body language are the number of times your prospect opens your email, the time your prospects spends watching your presentation and which slides of your presentation your prospect has watched.

How do Inside Sales challenges relate to Digital Body Language?
One of the main challenges that Inside Sales reps are experiencing is that they cannot see the body language of their prospects. During a sales meeting inside sales reps get a lot of verbal buying signals, but are still not in an optimal position to prioritize the prospect because insights into the body language are missing. Studies focused on human interaction show that only 7 percent of communication effectiveness is determined by words and the remaining 93% of the message is delivered through body language. That is why the growth of Inside Sales significantly amplifies the need for transparency in Digital Body Language.

What is the Inside Sales use case?
Inside Sales reps are often guiding their prospects through presentations they have sent by attaching the presentations to their email. While on the phone the Inside Sales reps have no idea if the prospects are really paying attention and looking at their presentation. While the inside sales rep is speaking, the prospect might be performing other activities such as reading email or browsing social media. Due to the lack of insights into the digital body language of the prospect the inside sales rep can hardly find out what the attention level was of the prospect during the online sales meeting.

After the meeting the Inside Sales professional usually sends over some other information in the form of a documentation or presentation that should accelerate the close of the deal. However, after sending over this material as an attachment to an email the inside sales rep loses all control and has no idea if the prospect has opened his or her presentation, which slides have been viewed and how much time has been spent on each slide. A lack of all this information makes it extremely difficult for the Inside Sales rep to estimate how sales ready the prospect is, because the judgement of the Inside Sales rep is mostly based on messages which are delivered verbally or in writing. The 93% of buying signals that should have been delivered through body language are missing which again highlights that the growth of Inside Sales amplifies the need for transparency in the Digital Body Language of prospects.

Which Inside Sales reps can sell most?
Inside Sales professionals who are able to gain more insights into the digital behavior and the digital body language of their prospects are in a stronger selling position compared to those who do not have these insights. These Inside Sales professionals are in a better position to prioritize their sales pipeline and focus on those prospects who are engaging most with their sales collateral and are more sales ready than those prospects who are engaging less with their sales collateral and need to be nurtured.